What is the most expensive gemstone in the world? In 2018 it’s a blue diamond costing nearly $4 million per carat, besting the previous holder, a Pink Star diamond a $1.2 million per carat. Other most expensive gemstones are as follows:
- Blue Diamond – $3.93 million per carat
- Musgravite – $35,000 per carat
- Jadeite – $20,000 per carat
- Alexandrite – $12,000 per carat
- Red Beryl – $10,000 per carat
For thousands of years, man has been besotted by the beauty and sparkle of gemstones. These stones are meant to be special, and they are even described as fragments of stars and tears of the gods. They have been a part of man’s history and ancient culture – whether as amulets and charms or adornments to the nobles. Gemstones continue to hold magnificent value even to this day.